Certainly within the top handful of inland courses in Britain, Woodhall Spa’s Hotchkin course is a fast-running and severely bunkered layout that has been shaped by Harry Vardon and Harry Colt.
I visited it in the middle of autumn this year to provide the club with imagery for their internal promotion and for magazine use. Although undoubtedly an amazing course, it was definitely among the most difficult I have ever had to shoot. That was because of the flat land and tall trees. The photo at the top – of the 3rd, one of the finest holes on the course – is one of my favourites in my portfolio. It took a lot of effort on Photoshop but the end result made the two-hour editing session very much worth it. Since I submitted the shot I have played about with saturation and found upping this locally (on the ruin in the background and heather in the foreground) improved the dynamic range, but it did make it look a touch unrealistic.
- Tiger Woods at Turkish Airlines Open 2013: Day 4 Recap and Twitter Reaction (bleacherreport.com)
- Pro golfer Stuart Manley aces hole, then takes an 11 in same round (latimes.com)
- Course Review: Eagle Landing Golf Course (golfbybryan.com)
- Forest Hills Golf and Country Club Palmer Course (golflifeatbp.wordpress.com)
- Golf tragic follows ace with an 11 (heraldsun.com.au)